Funny funny news
- Dennis Quaid told The Guardian that the criticism regarding his and 26-year-old fiancée Laura Savoie’s age gap “doesn’t really bother us.”
- The actor also commented on the similarities between his relationship and his 1998 film “The Parent Trap.”
- The movie centered on twins (played by Lindsay Lohan) who were determined to split up their father’s (Quaid) engagement to a 26-year-old named Meredith Blake (Elaine Hendricks) and get him back together with his ex-wife (Natasha Richardson).
- After news spread about Quaid’s real-life engagement, Hendricks tweeted: “Watch out for those twins.”
- According to The Guardian, Quaid found Hendrix’s viral joke “funny” and said that the couple will “for sure” get married at the Saglin Family Vineyard, which is where he filmed the movie.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“It really doesn’t bother us,” the 65-year-old actor told The Guardian of the criticism surrounding their 39-year age difference. “Everyone comes from the perspective of their own life and so I can’t comment on the way they feel; I can’t even get angry.”
Quaid also said that the attention “was really a laugh” and he “thought it was wonderful, actually.”
The actor, who has previously been married to P.J. Soles, Meg Ryan, and Kimberly Buffington-Quaid, went on to say that he “didn’t go out looking for an age gap or someone really younger than me.”
“I met her at a business event and then the relationship developed,” Quaid said. “You have no control over who you fall in love with. I don’t fall in love easy. But I can’t let what a few people think control all that. I’ve been married three times and this is the final one, I know it is. I feel like I have a real partner in life.”
When news of Quaid’s engagement to Savoie, a doctorate student, spread, the actor’s “Parent Trap” costar Elaine Hendrix shared a hilarious reaction that went viral.
“Watch out for those twins,” Hendrix tweeted along with the “twins” emoji.
—Elaine Hendrix (@elaine4animals) October 21, 2019
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
According to The Guardian, Quaid found the remark “funny” and said that the couple coincidentally visited the Saglin Family Vineyard, which is where he filmed the movie, “that very day” that Hendrix commented on their engagement. The actor also said that they will “for sure” get married at that location.
“The Parent Trap,” which was a remake of a film released in 1961 of the same name, actually has a few similarities to Quaid’s real-life situation.
In the movie, he starred as Nick Parker, who got engaged to a 26-year-old named Meredith Blake. The character, portrayed by Hendricks, gets chased away by Nick’s identical twin daughters, named Hallie and Annie (played by Lindsay Lohan), because they didn’t like her. They also wanted their father to rekindle his relationship with his ex-wife, Elizabeth James (Natasha Richardson).
In addition to Savoie being the same age as Quaid’s on-screen ex-fiancée, he also has 12-year-old fraternal twins named Thomas and Zoe from his marriage to Buffington-Quaid.
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe